Monday, July 13, 2009

Canning time is here again!

I love this time of year... getting fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden, canning, and making jam (my favorite)! Every year I make a goal to do better than the year before, and I think I am doing pretty well so far this year. Last week we made and canned apple sauce at our house with Matt and Janice with a bunch of apples that we picked at Jesse's grandpa's house. We has 4 big buckets for of apples, and were able to get 31 quarts of apple sauce. And more importantly, we had a lot of fun doing it!

My favorite thing to make and can is jam! I love trying new kinds, and was able to try 2 new kinds so far this year. I have made 2 batches of strawberry rhubarb, 1 batch of raspberry jalapeno (may sound gross but it is really good), and 3 batches of raspberry. And I look forward to doing more with the raspberries this summer! I am so lucky to have my very own berry patch to pick from :) I love it! Hopefully we will end up doing a lot more canning this summer. I am planning on at least doing peaches, pears, tomatoes, and maybe trying some apple pie filling.

2 comments:

Lexi said...

Way to go! I made strawberry freezer jam this year- yum!

Ivanhoe72 said...

Sounds like fun! We have a family of 10, and we love to can together – It’s great bonding time. Just finished pears and moving on to corn…

I found this great t-shirt that says “Yes, we canned!” We may all need to get one : ) You can see it here:
http://www.cafepress.com/cannedlaughter